The Messina Family

The Messina Family
Barcelona 2010

Thursday, March 20, 2008

It must skip a generation.....








My grandmother (my dad's mom) is a wonderful quilter. She loves to quilt and makes them for her family for special occasions. I have two of her quilts and my children each have a baby quilt from her.
My mom has taken up quilting in recent years and she is also just phenomenal. It must skip a generation because I am just not the sewing type. I have no skills in the sewing department. Maybe I am just not old enough. :o)
Anyhow, my mom has made us lovely quilts. She just finished one for Joe's bed recently and I wanted to show it off to everyone. Joe absolutely loves it. He says it is warm and he loves the colors.
I also wanted to add a few pictures of another project she did for Lily right after we adopted her. I was included in a group of people from all over the globe in a 100 good wishes quilt. People sent everyone on the list an 8 inch by 8 inch piece of fabric for the quilt. Then they sent a card with a smaller swatch of the fabric and a good wish to your adopted child and their family from their family. I made a scrapbook from those cards for Lily. I sent my mom the patches for the quilt and you can see what she did with it. She mailed the top to me in Japan to write all the names of the people and where they were from under each square. I mailed it back and she finished it. It was truly a labor of love and Lily will treasure it someday.

No comments: