The Messina Family

The Messina Family
Barcelona 2010

Friday, January 1, 2010

Prague

On Nov 28th, a group of 6 women, including me, went on a four day trip to Prague, The Czech Republic. We had such a wonderful time! I had never been to Prague before and it was mostly untouched by WWII as it was taken over early in the war and without much fighting. It is one of the few places in Europe that can say that. So their beautiful buildings are not rebuilt..they are exactly as they have been for hundreds of years. The Christmas markets had just opened and yes, there was a lot of shopping done. Beautiful hand-blown glass ornaments with hand-painted Czech scenes...marionettes everywhere (who knew?)...I did buy one for Lily...a little Pinnochio one and she loves it! The food was fabulous and the company was great. The people were very friendly and everything didn't cost an arm and a leg like it does in Scandanavia. I missed my family, but wow, it was great to only be responsible for me! I was able to get up and be showered, fed and out the door in record time to catch the sunrise on the Charles bridge or mingle around the Old Town Square watching the vendors get their wares ready for the Christmas markets to open. I had a fabulous time and would highly recommend it!
Here I am...in the old town square (Staromestske namesti) in Prague, The Czech Republic This is the infamous clock and astronomical clock right off the square. Another of the beautiful Christmas carvings. The inside of St. Nicholas church. It goes back to 1283...and is built in Czech baroque style. Mozart played the organ in this church. Here I am aside one of the many wooden carved creches in the town square. See the green building? It's the narrowest hotel in all of Europe! This guy also seemed to keep an eye on everyone. The stone carvings in Prague were amazing! Here's the whole gang on the edge of the Korluv Most looking over the Charles River to the castle and St. Vitrus's Cathedral. Amanda (U.S.), me, Jane (U.S./Canadian), Irene (Scottish, Cheryl (Welsh) and Shannon (U.S.) Great time had by all! This is what I was thinking - Wow! I am in Prague, The Czech Republic! No way!!!! Some of the gorgeous scenery... This is the tower house on the entrance to the Charles Bridge (Karluv Most) This is Amanda and Shannon, two other U.S. military spouses with me. I wanted to show you how tall this book monument was! It was amazing! Here I am inside the Prague city library and their book display in the front lobby. Maybe I can do this with my books now that I have a Kindle..... From a street that opens to the main Christmas market in the main square in Prague. Breathtaking. The square is called Staromestske namesti. This sax player was playing music outside a cathedral for money. Our guide told us he has been married 3 times and has an 8 year old child to raise and he does this for extra money. I always felt this Bishop was watching me....probably not a bad thing when you are on a girls' weekend in a foreign city! :o)

I thought you might enjoy hearing some of the locals singing Christmas carols...the men around me were very boisterous! Lots of hot, mulled wine, I think!

No comments: