The Messina Family

The Messina Family
Barcelona 2010

Monday, August 16, 2010

1st Day of School

Today is the first day of school for all three kids. Normally it would just be a day for the freshmen at the high school, but the new upperclassmen have to go as well. Both of the boys headed off on a yellow school bus at 0715 this morning (they rode city buses in Norway and walked in Japan...so this was the first time riding a yellow school bus for Tim and it's been since 1st grade for Joe!) Bear with me...it's the first day of school...so there is a lot of reminiscing going on in my head! So the boys are off to high school...both of them. Yikes! Did I mention Joe has a driver's permit now? Egads! I am too young for all of this! (However, the experience of driving with him is quickly aging me!) :o)

About 15 minutes after the boys are picked up, Lily and I headed out the door for her 20 minute walk to her school. This is the first time she is on her own in her own school. Rich and I were thinking that if we end up staying here...she could go to school at that school for 7 years! Mind-boggling! Anyhow, luckily, Lily had a fantastic preschool teacher and she was ready and willing to take on kindergarten head-on. There weren't any tears or clinging hugs. Just a "I'll see you after school, Mom!" :o) Yay! I can't wait to hear about her day on the walk home!

After I dropped her in her classroom, there was a "boo-hoo" breakfast for parents of kindergarteners. Someone stood up and told us about kindergarten here at this school and about the school itself, which was really informative. I have volunteered to work in the library, so I hope that I'll be spending some time there. It very much reminds me of the elementary school I used to work at in Colorado Springs. Anyhow...here are some pictures of Lily on her first day of kindergarten. I'll let you know how things went!




2 comments:

Julie said...

Totally adorable! I'm glad she's settling in so well!

jtguttman said...

Adorable! She looks so so happy! Sounds like everyone had a great 1st day back to school.