The Messina Family

The Messina Family
Barcelona 2010

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Fish Oil Medicine



Norway does not put Vitamin D in their milk. There is one brand that does it but most do not. Without vitamin D, you can not absorb calcium properly. I asked my Norwegian neighbors when we first moved here how they got their vitamin D... There isn't enough sun light to get it that way and they don't add it to their milk. They replied simply, "Trans." Trans is a fish oil that is given to children starting at 3 monthes of age here. Adults graduate to taking it in pill form, but it is bascially fish oil with omega 3 and vitamin D and A added. I put Lily on this right away. She loves the goopy, smelly stuff! She begs for her "fish oil medicine" every night at bedtime and will pretend to give it to her stuffed panda before tucking him in for his nap. I try and get the vitamin D added milk whenever I can...but it often means a special trip.

No comments: