The Messina Family

The Messina Family
Barcelona 2010

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Saying Goodbye...

Keisha...girl, I am going to miss you!
Keisha's gang of friends saying our final farewells around 11:15 p.m. (the sun was just setting) at the Rica Forum Hotel restaurant
Keisha and Michaela, who are also very close friends
Keisha and Marily, who is also moving...to Germany.
Keisha and Patti...who is also moving...to Virginia
Keisha and me
Keisha opening gifts from her girlfriends...a little something from Scandanavia...
Keisha, trying to put on her brave face...
Tina and Keisha
I have grown up moving around all of my life. I don't really have roots planted anywhere and I wouldn't know what to do with them if I had them (roots, that is). I tend to make friends quickly...but also tend not to make close friends. There is really just a small handful of people that know me really really well. I don't know if I keep a distance because I don't want to have to say goodbye or just because I am accustomed to doing so. However, every once and awhile, you come across a very special person that you just can't wait to spend time with. Keisha is one of those people for me. She has a son a year ahead of Joe in school and a son a year behind Tim in school. All four boys know each other very well. We have spent HOURS upon HOURS at basketball, track and rugby events over the last two years. Keisha and I did not have the kind of relationship where we called each other everyday...it was something different than that...it was, as she put it at her goodbye dinner, that we were "like sisters, who could always depend on each other." She will always have a place in my heart, and I know we'll be seeing each other again. She moves to Houston (where my brother and sister-in-law live) on Friday...
Keisha has been my inspiration to be a better person ever since I met her. I rarely walk away without being inspired at what a great wife and mom she is. We both have been working hard at the gym to get our "badda-bing, badda-boom" bodies back. We have promised each other to meet in Hawaii for a girl's vacation when we reach our goals. I can't wait! Until then...we'll have facebook....I will miss you my friend!

No comments: